Thursday, April 26, 2007

Psycho Analysis, Defense Mechanisms and a blog..

Sometimes I think - Damn, Why do I do certain things...
Everyone seems to have two choices as per evolution to face anything - fight or flight, As for me, I fight when I like, I flee when I hate.

While wondering on that and more on 'fleeing' as a way to defend oneself, I wikied out ways of Defensive Mechanisms at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_mechanisms

I had been introspecting as what I did when comparing with the article and recollecting incidents, more like seeing through a design pattern guide and recollecting lines of code previously written...

The levels by George Vaillant mentioned in the page is very interesting to note:

Level I - psychotic defences (ie. psychotic denial, delusional projection)
Level II - immature defences (ie. fantasy, projection, passive aggression, acting out)
Level III - neurotic defences (ie. intellectualization, reaction formation, dissociation, displacement, repression)
Level IV - mature defences (ie. humor, sublimation, suppression, altruism, anticipation)

I feel that the way one defends themselves can show how mature they are and while observing myself, I think I had done things from all levels at all times, matured as well as immatured acts.. thats a funny insight!

Mind Analysis and looking things in a scientific way, explaning hormones, enzymes and our super_power_brain acts for all causes of actions makes you feel generally good that you can blame it all on the molecules.

Interstingly, I also find people on 43 things - who wants to 'stop hating', seems a positive thing - http://www.43things.com/things/view/146906
There are things that people do and do...
and 'whys' unexplained many times with all the scientific explanations/ empirical observations from evolutions identified.

1 comment:

Sarah Blow said...

Interesting post and definately the types and levels of defence posted in this article are reflected around the blogosphere, especially when dealing with comments and criticisms. If you look around you will see pople at all the different levels. You will also see that with the different levels there are also different types of personalities. It also reflects in the styles of peoples writing and the purpose of their blogs.

I wonder how much of these levels can be to do with the initial reasons for people starting a blog.

PS thanks for the link love!